Sunday 16 September 2018

Whispers

A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends.                      Proverbs 16:28 NIV

For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. 2 Corinthians 12:20


You will be aware of the term, ‘Chinese Whispers’ which is nice way of saying gossip, or tattletale. Whispers sounds better, but we do a big disservice to the Chinese to tag them in that phrase. So gossip it is and gossip it remains.

The various acts of gossip are usually attributed to the womenfolk, but I have found that men are much the same, and as bad if not worse. You see, gossip is not just a soft whisper behind someone’s back. It can be peddled as an intentional deceit to mislead the thinking of others, to help turn opinions and preferences round to their own wishes! I would go as far as to suggest that this type of deliberate, deceitful gossip is the preferred instrument of the menfolk.

Not only does gossip separate close friends but it is listed among other (we would consider) more serious sins like discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. This puts the action of the gossiper in a fresh light, doesn’t it? So we must be aware of the damage it can cause, and stay well clear. There is no such thing as it being a good thing. ‘Helpful words’ from a friend like, “I’m only telling you this for your own good”, or “I was told not to say, but…”, don’t count because it is still gossip, and we must be alert to these deceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment