Wednesday 12 September 2018

Trying

[ Suffering for Doing Good ] Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. 1 Peter 3:8

This verse finds me trying in two senses. Firstly, I am constantly trying to live out these wise and inspired words, and secondly, I sometimes find them ‘trying’ because I don’t always reach the mark and fall short. But as Paul writes in Philippians 3:14 “I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” So, we should never give up trying to be more Christlike as Paul says. Peter takes the theme and says we should be more….

Like minded, suggesting that we need to treat our brothers and sisters with the same care that they treat us. With respect and due care. Our churches would always be more welcoming and friendly if we were all working to the same goal, and we did not have the hierarchy of self appointed leaders. There is no room for pride in a like minded group.

Sympathetic churches show the heart of Jesus in the community. It takes a real Christian to show true and genuine sympathy for the downtrodden, forgotten homeless people who live on the streets. It is easier to forget or ignore these people, but we are commanded to sympathise with their lives and lifestyles. They may not behave or look like the clean, respected members who fill our pews, but we cannot distance ourselves from them, or their needs.

Love one another tells me the highest calling we need to have for our fellow Christians. When we grasp the fact that God IS love, then it follows that we must show that same Christlike love to our brothers and sisters. Peter doesn’t say this because it’s easy, because as the old saying goes, “It’s hard to love the unlovely”, but we are commanded to, so we must. Not a halfhearted ‘like’, but a full blown selfless Christian agape love.

Be compassionate and show it. This is practical and unmistakeable. When we are compassionate, the world can see it, and then know for certain that we mean to share the love we have for each other, with them too. The combination of love and compassion is contagious, and shows the world we are serious about their salvation too. We think their soul is worth saving for eternity.

Humble. In one small word, we encapsulate the hardest thing for us to do as Christians. Oh we say we are not proud, but we fail the test when we think, no one else can do this job like me. Or, I have been helping to run this church all my life, so I know all about the needs better than everyone else. Or again, where would they be without my tithes or offerings? The burden on my shoulders is great, but I still think I am humble. Really? Humility is elusive. When we actively believe we have achieved humility, it’s at that point we have lost it! I think Peter left this command to the last because without it, we become a sham, and the world can see through a phoney with no trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment