Wednesday 19 September 2018

Everything!

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.                Proverbs 4:23 NIV

‘Everything’ is a very strong word, and overused at times but here it is used correctly. Whatever we do in life comes out of our heart. When we say and do good things, we are told we have a kind heart, but when we do and say hurtful things we are told that our heart is rotten to the core. In fact, these thoughts may not be said to our face, but they are felt.

We are told in Jeremiah 17:9 that “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure” so what can we do about it? “Above all else” is another set of strong words but they tell us, and that includes me, that over and above anything I might think, say, or do, I must guard my heart. That means keeping a very close eye on my words and actions. By the time my inner thoughts have shown themselves outwardly it may be too late to correct the failing in the eyes of my children, grandchildren and friends who might just be looking for a good example.

If we don’t show a good example, then the people who count in our life will find someone else who acts as they say and think with truth and integrity. I like the old example of the three gates that our words must pass through before they emerge from our lips. Are my words, TRUE, are they NECESSARY, and are they KIND? If we can do that we will have set a guard on our heart. Lord, make us faithful to be the example our family and friends need!

No comments:

Post a Comment