Monday 17 September 2018

Benefits of Old Age

Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4 NIV

Some of us are blessed to grow into old age with a reasonable amount of good health, while others pass away into their own eternal destiny, and sometimes we who are still here will ask, “why was I left behind”? We are all different, but each of us bears the scars of our individual history of life. Some experiences have been better than others, and some we would rather forget.

I am happy, and yes even relieved, that every child of God has the sure and certain promise of eternal life in heaven. We might not know exactly what that looks like, but we do have the cast iron assurance that we will enter heaven’s gates to live with Jesus forever and as a BIG bonus we will get to see our family who also placed their faith in Jesus Christ.

Until that great and glorious day, we live out our lives on earth as best we can. Our human body is frail and subject to all the ailments and temptations that the devil can throw at us. But, and it’s a BIG BUT, we are told what our gracious God will do for the believers as they ‘do life’ this side of heaven. He says, “I am he who will sustain you” and “I will carry you” and “I will sustain you”, (this is said twice so it must be important) and “I will rescue you”.

The best part of this promise for me, is that it doesn’t just apply to the older, gray haired believers, it says “even to your old age and gray hairs” and that means all the way through your life until you see those gray hairs appearing and beyond! What a promise from our gracious and understanding God.

No comments:

Post a Comment