Tuesday 25 September 2018

Trying

You will know the old adage, your friend encounters a problem which he can’t get the better of and he says, “I’m trying!” and your reply is “You’re very trying”. Not so funny is it, especially when you are the one having to ‘try’? That just about sums this blog up for me.

Any kind of gathering of people who want to stay relevant, like cafes, restaurants, clubs, and yes even churches, will end up trying new things to keep their patronage. Especially so when they are against the wall and struggling financially, and numerically. Let’s face it, these two problems go together. For my part, I am focussing on the small, struggling churches, and there are many.

Since our faith hinges on the Word of God as left to us in the Bible, I was looking for some guidance. Was there any place where something similar happened? Were all the New Testament early churches thriving? I don’t think so. In fact we know that Paul had some real problems as he counselled them to stay on track. So what was his message? What was the secret for a successful church, both then and now?

Timothy was a young fledgling pastor and teacher, who was under the protective wing of his mentor, the Apostle Paul, and who better for advice? If it had happened in a church, Paul knew about it and how to fix it. His only advice is clear, and to the point. In a nutshell it’s preach Timothy, preach the Word! Nothing more or less. Nothing different or new. Nothing geared to be attractive that would ‘bring them in’. No, just preach the Word!

Now where did we start? Oh yes, by trying. I suppose like others I feel obliged to ‘try’ the new programs that the local church comes up with to make it more relevant in today’s society. I know they come from a full heart, but I sometimes find them ‘very trying’ in that other sense. Could it be the easy way out? You see, preaching done well is no small feat, and any church is blessed to have a preaching and teaching pastor. I am happy to say that my own small church has such a pastor, and I would say he deserves a better response. The numbers don’t seem to put him off, because I believe he knows where the importance of church lies. Not in a new program, or a quiz, or a ‘feel good’ time of singing. These are all good in their place, but no substitute for the only message that Paul suggested to Timothy.

I will go along and try the new things for a while, but if I find them trying my Spirit?... Answers on a postcard please.

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage – with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather round them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry. 2 Timothy 4:1-5 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment