Monday 10 September 2018

Spinach

I don’t like spinach, in fact I hate it. It has no place on my plate or in my diet. It’s the feel of the stuff in my mouth as well. It might make Popeye stronger, but that’s just a cartoon. Truth is, I have never tasted spinach so my opinion holds no weight, does it? Why should I criticise something I know nothing about?

Sometimes I tune into a radio phone in show in the mornings, and today the subject was “Is religion relevant in our day and age?” Typically, there was a mix of responses ranging from people who live their faith, right through to those who would have nothing to do with any church in spite of the fact that they have never been inside one. They had taken their opinion from the media who report the wars around the world and they see the major root cause as religion. Hence the analogy to spinach at the start of this piece.

Based on second and third hand information, the callous caller had already decided that religion and faith was nothing to him, and easily discarded straight into the dustbin of life. He couldn’t see an ounce of good or credibility in any religion of any kind, not just Christianity.

Time for another truth and confession. There are some Christian beliefs held dear to others that I just can’t accept. On top of that, there are some Christians that I just can’t get close enough to like. This revelation is like the example of me not liking spinach in spite of the fact that I have never tasted it. The same becomes true of my attitude to other Christian’s beliefs and personalities. Somehow I don’t think I am alone in this confession. I’m sure there are others but we are not so good at coming clean, are we?

So, what to do? Should I try the spinach? Or is my reluctance due to God working in my life helping me to avoid false teachings, and yes even people? Until I am led by the Spirit of God I will refrain from the spinach in the meantime. After all, is it such a bad thing to avoid, and be protected from bad or suspect teachings, and teachers?

But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them – bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.                    2 Peter 2:1,2 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment