Sunday 23 September 2018

My Achilles Heel

I must confess to having a weak spot. One which not everyone shares, even other Christians on a social media platform like this one, and it has reared its ugly head again recently. I don’t like it when action must be taken to protect myself from the same thing again, but that is a forlorn hope because as society becomes more accepting and tolerant, this weakness will be found more often, and more than likely the person involved will not be aware of the impact, even though my feelings are made clear on my profiles.

It may seem to be an unlikely difficulty because in real life conversations, although it troubles me, it doesn’t bother me as much. That’s because a ‘user’ will normally let it happen almost unconsciously, and without thinking. The issue, my issue, is not so much with it happening in ordinary small talk, but when it is written or typed, it has to be thought through letter by letter as it finds itself on the screen. Then as if that isn’t enough, the ‘send’ or ‘publish’ button must be pressed too. Basically, there is ample time to correct and erase the offending word(s) before anyone reads them.

We take language for granted, but for me it’s an expression of who we are, of who I am, and I for one am particular how it is used. My use of words and language tells my family and friends who I am, and what I am on the inside. It shows some integrity in an area where I do exercise control. Full control. My language is not a mirror of someone else. It’s a reflection of who I am.

So, if you find that I am missing from your social media friends list, it’s nothing personal. That is who you are and you are comfortable with who you are. Similarly, I have the freedom to reduce the number of times I see, or my friends might see through me, open swearing which is offending and offensive. I am not asking you to change, although that would be nice, but explaining who I am. I will not change, and it is possible that you will not either. When I was younger, a friend told me that swearing was just street language and I would get used to it. Well here I am many years later, and I am thankfully still not used to it. Have you ever walked near a small family in the street only to hear the dad, or yes, even the mum swear at the toddler who isn’t keeping up? As though that wasn’t bad enough, you cringe as the toddler answers in similar fashion. Now tell me who is at fault? Is it always someone else, or do we have some part to play in the solution? So tell me, who do YOU think is listening when YOU talk?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment