Tuesday 4 May 2010

Getting Nasty

There is only a short 48 hours until the nation goes to the polls to determine the nature of the next government. I have already voted, using my postal vote, but most other folks will take a trip to the polling stations on Thursday 6 May 2010!


You must have noticed that all the candidates are getting as much as they can into the last few hours of their campaigns. After all, when a balanced or hung parliament is very possible, it is understandable that they are out campaigning hard for every vote, and rightly so.


The side of the campaign which I am finding more and more distasteful, is the way the media is conducting themselves. They have had a great time over the past few weeks, basking in their own piece of reflected glory, as they look for gaffes and headlines, but it is starting to turn nasty. Very nasty. I notice that every TV presenter wants to put every politician under as much pressure as possible, and it doesn't really matter how they do it, or what tactics they use. 


The people I refer to are Andrew Neil and Jeremy Paxman in particular, but the attitude applies across the board. It's like they are in the death throes of the election, and want a bit of publicity for themselves. I am no sympathiser for the politicians, but can these interviewers not let them speak for themselves, without continually putting words into their mouths? Having followed most of the election programming so far, all I can say is, thank goodness it is almost over, because I have had just about enough of the big headed, arrogant, loud, 'see me' interviewers that I can take. 


At this point I now see the media as worse than the politicians (even the bad ones), and that is saying something!!

No comments:

Post a Comment