Friday 21 May 2010

Bad News Comes in 3s

There is an old saying that goes, "bad news comes in 3s". This past week has shown that to be true in my case. First of the three was my washing machine which stopped working, and was not repairable, so a new one had to be bought. Secondly, my gas central heating and hot water boiler stopped working, and the Scottish Gas engineer told me that it could not be repaired either, as it was too old, so yes another expense, this time of a new boiler. Thirdly, my sister had a "heart scare" and had to go into hospital for tests.


I mentioned three things, but only one was important. Two of these 'problems' could be bought with new appliances, the third could not. Yes, the important one was the one which was outside my control. In fact, it was outside everybody's control. Add the fact that she and my brother (in-law, although I don't like that term) live in Florida, so I can't just go and visit. I can phone, and that was good, but it's not quite the same is it? For four days the medics worked to find medication which would get the heart arrhythmia under control, but this didn't work, so a procedure was decided upon which involved surgery. In a time like that, when the medical staff are concerned, you get concerned as well!


Anyone who has read some of my earlier blogs will have gathered that I do enjoy a good and sound Christian Faith, so being so far away, when I was out of other forms of help, I prayed. So did family. So did many others who knew of the situation. What happened next, can be described as a miracle. 


Already in the operating area, and all ready for the anaesthetist, with the surgical and medical staff around, and my brother and friends watching from a room nearby, my sister's heart started to work properly. Immediately. Correctly. The heart rate went from almost 200 beats per minute to a perfect 70. After four days of medical investigation and work, something changed as this particular patient lay on an operating table, and it went far beyond the ken of senior doctors and surgeons. It was a surprise and a shock to all those around, including the medics.


Those who profess a Christian Faith have no doubts as to what happened. It was a direct intervention by God. For those who do not have any such faith, it can be explained away as, something which would have happened anyway. It is not my place to argue about something which can have no rational explanation. It made me wonder why we don't usually expect an answer when we pray? Maybe it's because we don't always see the answers, but in this case it was common, even public knowledge! It is hard to argue against the obvious, and the obvious is that an erratic and unpredictable heart suddenly started to work properly, and before any surgical technique was applied!    


I already have paid for a new washing machine, and I will eventually pay to get a new central heating boiler, but I got a new sister for free! Strange how the most important and the biggest piece of bad news was the worst, but there is no cost associated with the miracle. But then some things have no price tag attached. Things like, Faith, family, and love. 


"For where your heart is, there will your treasure be also". Now, what is important to you?         

No comments:

Post a Comment