Tuesday 11 December 2018

Pride, Prejudice, and Independence

It won’t make any sense to the younger readers, but as you get older you might encounter the problem of role reversal with your family. God has been good to me, and blessed me with a family who would do anything for me. This is ok as long as it isn’t necessary to ask, but… BIG BUT, the time comes when you have to give in to your prideful independence, and the prejudice of the only person who can and should do things, is me!!

In a few weeks I will be going into hospital for a significant knee operation to remove one implant, and replace it with another fuller and better one. The result is a while to recover, the physiotherapy, and all the while trying to keep house. Having lost my wee wife some years ago, I miss her and that everything would have been done and covered properly. My pride gets in the way. My two lovely daughters are straight from their mum as far as being Godly, and a force to be reckoned with in the kitchen and home. But ask them to step in and help me? That is a step to far, isn’t it??

There has come a time when events overtake you, and such is the case now, but without a hesitation, they have stood in the gap for me when it was needed, and I didn’t have to ask. Take note, all you lonely dads with daughters, you don’t have to tell then when you need help. They are way ahead of you there, and have already figured it out. You see each side doesn’t want to step in and take away a level of independence, until it is absolutely necessary.

So, my failings are out in the open. My pride, prejudice and independence have taken a much needed knock, but for the best. I have always loved my girls, but I have a new respect and appreciation for them both. They truly are a Godsend, and I don’t use that term lightly. I wasn’t happy with God when He decided that heaven needed the presence of my wife, and although there can never be a substitute, in His infinite wisdom, He gave me two mini-mums who are heaven’s treasures to me. A simple thank you is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment