Wednesday 12 December 2018

Giving

It is more blessed to give than to receive. Acts20:35NIV

What a difference a few years makes. It doesn’t seem so long ago that I was the one waiting for the gifts under the tree at Christmas. I can almost taste the excitement it was so palpable. The early morning start, even though I wasn’t a morning person, the festive music playing which was the signal that Christmas Day had started, and Santa had been.

There always were gifts, so I guess I must have been good. Never a disappointment, and I thought things could never get better. Ever! When you are in Primary School your world revolves around getting presents, and comparing them to the ones your friends got. No one was ever unhappy with theirs because, somehow, this magical Santa knew what you needed, and what you wanted. The best part was that he knew the difference!

I can clearly remember my mum and dad, just sitting and watching the excitement. Getting very little, but soaking in the joy of their family as they ripped their way through the wrapping paper. When I was blessed to be a dad myself, I found some of that inner joy while looking on, but I also had my own presents too.

Then, the day of the biggest and best surprise arrived. I had turned into my parents and all I wanted to see was the joy of my now grown children, and grandchildren as they tore off the Christmas wrapping paper to reveal the Christmas surprises. Just as it was with me, they were never bad so they got a year’s worth of goodness in gift form.

Scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit, so it should come as no surprise to finally realise, and accept that it really is more blessed to give than to receive. Getting a special gift from that special person is good, but it is supremely better to be the giver of that special gift! Unfortunately, to get to this place, you have to grow up. Happy Christmas everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment