Thursday 23 March 2017

Common Sense?

Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure no immoral, impure or greedy person... has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Ephesians 5:4,5

These are powerful verses if we take them seriously, and I hope we do. I don’t like it when it happens, and I know I have been guilty of speaking out of turn in no small measure in the past, but when it comes from a trusted and senior source within the body of the general church of Christ, it seems worse. Maybe I am using a harsh measuring stick in judgement, or maybe I am taking these verses too literally. Is that possible?

It’s Facebook again. Or to be more accurate, it’s the use of Facebook by the person on the typewriter, tablet, or phone. It’s not Facebook, or the device, it’s the individual and I think it may be an insight into their heart. It’s not easy to hold on to our common sense on social media sometimes, but if we are going to be true to Jesus Christ, the person we believe in, and call ourselves by His name, we must guard our talk.

People are watching us, and we should remember that we can offend. Instead of being an influence for good, we could be unfollowed, blocked, or unfriended and then where is our witness? I’ll tell you. It’s in the place where it has no benefit. Let’s take more care of our talk (and Facebook posts). It’s important because we can do more harm than good.

No comments:

Post a Comment