Wednesday 1 March 2017

Head of the House?

If anyone causes one of these little ones – those who believe in me – to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung round their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. Matthew 18:6

He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full respect. 1 Timothy 3:4

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

As a dad and granda, these verses tug at my heart. There must have been times when I was short with my children, and didn’t give them their place to be heard. Did I ever make them feel unloved? I hope not, certainly, that was never my intention, but did I do it without needed and expected due care and attention? The Bible is clear. God loves a family man, but that comes with great responsibility. Jesus’ words make that obvious.

It goes further than my own, or your, children because Jesus refers to ‘those who believe in me’, as little ones in the faith. The same applies. Have I always been a steadying influence on those who would look to me as a Christian? Am I a good example in my talk, walk, and way of life? It seems that the weight of responsibility on men and dads is heavy. Are we up to the challenge? Am I up to the mark?

It is too easy to speak with loveless authority, to the point that we lose our influence and example. What else can we leave to our children and those younger in the faith who watch us? The house, car and money you leave in your will, are soon gone and spent, but your influence and example live on well after your passing. We only have this life to get it right, so let’s make every effort to live as that positive and Godly example while we have the chance. The alternative with its consequences to all those who follow after us, or watch us, do not bear thinking about. Let’s do our best to avoid that outcome… at ALL costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment