Monday 16 July 2012

Where is God?

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jer 29:11 NKJV

“Where are you God when I need You?” Have you ever thought, or prayed it? If we are honest, we will admit to it, and maybe often. I have. One thing is certain, it will have passed your lips on something important. Not a triviality, but at a time, more than any other, when you need an answer. So, we pray “Where are you when I need You God?” Not as an irreverent prayer, but one of deep feeling and anxiety. We need to feel that God is there somewhere, and on our case. My experience confirms that He is!

This is not the first time I have been reminded of this verse, and I don’t think it will be the last. It is a wonderful reminder, when we need it, that our God is on our side, and is working something good on our behalf. The nature of it, is that we only see the end result, when something shows and becomes tangible or visible. But before that, God had good thoughts for us, and was working on our case. he listens to our prayers, and starts to work for our good without us knowing, if we are genuinely in His Will.

How do we find out, or realise that God has been working in the background, and when do we realise our prayers didn’t stop at the ceiling after all? It comes in different ways, and at different times, to different people. All I can tell you is that I saw it again. The word of encouragement from a good friend at the close of the church service was a ‘word in season’ indeed, and found its mark in my heart. Then separately, hearing of a first church visit in many years, the sight of a worn Bible where it belonged, and being asked to pray before a simple meal. Not much you might think, not fancy, not expensive, but for me, priceless. A personal confirmation, right when I needed it, that God wasn’t hidden. And the verse? It was repeated to me with conviction, by one I had been praying for, and it was as much a blessing to me as it was to my friend.

There are times when we wonder if God is working in our churches, and perhaps we have good reason to ask, but isn’t the important thing that God is still working in people’s hearts? Individually, one by one, and occasionally in pairs and families. Thank you Lord for those You put in our path, and those you bless us with, and trust us to pray for! To those who reconfirmed my faith today, thank you. I believe God will continue to Bless those who trust in Him, whether at the start of a faith journey, or as an established encourager.

No comments:

Post a Comment