Saturday 28 July 2012

Olympians

But reject profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise yourself toward Godliness. For bodily exercise profits a little, but Godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.
- 1 Tim 4:7,8 NKJV

The Olympics are now upon us, and unless you have been living in another world, this fact will not have escaped your attention. These kinds of sporting events have been going for centuries, and were a big part of life in the apostle’s times. Timothy addresses this difference between Godliness and physical exercise, head on. Take note, he does not say bodily exercise is wrong, or that it should have no place in our lives or society. Many of us, myself included, could take more exercise, and better care of our bodies. The Olympic motto, “Faster, higher, stronger” is a reminder to all who take part that they have to be better than the last result achieved, whether by themselves or anyone else for that matter. It is important then to keep improving physically if any athlete wants to get a medal, and certainly that coveted Gold!

The Greeks were especially proud of their physical strength and that’s where the original marathon took place, and the race of the same distance has survived to this day. That alone tells me that the whole idea of racing against others, or even the clock is here to stay. However, having said all that, staying fit and healthy is not the most important thing. According to Timothy, there is a greater goal. It doesn’t matter if you are fast, slow, fat, thin, tall, small, young or old, this is a race you can be a part of, and the reward is greater than any Olympic medal. It is a crown! So, when I am watching these great athletes at the 2012 Olympic games, I will keep this verse in mind:

...the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.
- 2 Tim 4:6-8 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment