Tuesday 10 July 2012

Pleasant Surprise

Like millions across the world, I watched at least part of the Murray v Federer Wimbledon Tennis Final. No surprise there, and no real surprise that Federer’s experience and skill came through to give him the coveted prize. I suppose my Scottish blood came through too, and I found myself rooting for Andy Murray. No surprise there either I suppose.

As a passionate Scot, and knowing my nation’s love affair with our national sport, football, what did surprise me was the different way the tennis athletes and fans alike treated each other. With much respect. Fans on each side, sat beside one another and didn’t fight. The players were determined on court, and like real sportsmen gave no quarter as each dug deep to bring out their very best. When the tournament was over, the two men praised each other’s ability sincerely. Andy Murray excelled himself on and off the grass, physically and emotionally. No cursing, only free running emotional praise for his fans. On top of all that, the hospital A&E departments were not run over with drunken, bleeding ‘fans’ who were the victims of supporters from the ‘other side’. This was another nice surprise, at least for me.

As I thought of all that, I couldn’t help but wonder about one of the unspoken effects of Glasgow Rangers Football Club being relegated to a lower Scottish Division next year, and what that might mean to the ‘Old Firm’ fixtures which will not now happen? No pitched battles on or off the field, no frightened wives or children as some fans (not all, so don’t get excited here) can’t take their bigotry and hatred out in quite the same way, no late night overtime in the local hospital A&E. The list could go on. All in all, a big plus for a sane and safe Scotland.

Which sport do you think can truly be considered as a family event? Which one would you take your young children or grandchildren to? I have already cast my vote. Yes, sport really can be entertaining, competitive, and compulsive viewing. My suggestion would be to extend the tennis season, and just keep sectarian football (not just Rangers and Celtic) in different leagues!
(Sorry no Bible verses for this post, but maybe you could suggest one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment