Sunday 11 April 2010

Should the Pope Resign?

"Should the Pope Resign?" This is the question raised on many fronts, by many people, and the background reason for the question is the severe and sinful act of child abuse by some priests in some countries.

Before we get into this question, let me put my own thoughts on record. Child abuse, any child abuse, whether it is physical, or emotional, or psychological, is wrong. It is sinful in any and all forms. I use the word 'sinful' because it best describes the way the church would normally talk, and it is the language understood by all church persuasions, no matter the denomination. I hope there is no doubt as to where I stand on this abhorrent action.

While I was growing up, the Pope was often referred to as 'infallible in church matters, and in matters of church law'. I was also taught that the Pope was not elected in a purely physical way. He was appointed by God, the next one in a long line of Popes going back to the first Pope, believed to be St Peter. (My Catholic friends can correct me if I am wrong). Fundamentally, the Pope was not only elected by men, he was also appointed by God! Where does resignation fit into this arrangement? It is not straight forward. The question goes right to the heart of who the Pope is believed to be by this church.

I have read many journalistic comments about this issue, but I have also learned that people who are a part of the media have their own personal axe to grind. They have their own agenda, and it is not always obvious. I believe the question should not be, "Should the Pope Resign?" but it should be "What should the church (any church) do if there is a clear case of child abuse by any of its priests or nuns or ministers?" My answer is that they all should be first removed from their position, then charged and taken to the secular courtroom. I say removed first because the church of God cannot thrive under an accusation of something as serious as child abuse. Prison is an easy and small price to pay for the abuse of an innocent child. The bible teaches that church leaders carry a greater burden and responsibility to God, than those they lead! 

As far as the accusation against the Pope is concerned, only two people know the truth, the Pope and God Himself. All other opinions carry no weight. There are arguments on both sides which could last for ever. Lets face it, the Pope will not, indeed cannot resign, for in doing so he will change the nature of the 'representative of God' here on earth, and in this church.

God tells us that 'vengeance is mine', and we started to talk about sin at the beginning. If we do believe that God is really a God of Love and Justice (therefore judgement), then His judgement on the Pope, and all of us too, is far more severe than anything a human courtroom could sentence us to. After all that, the lesson is one for us all. Live our lives in the light of our certain afterlife, whether in Heaven, or sadly in Hell. I for one am glad that I am not allowed to make that judgement! I am happy to leave it in the hands of Someone who knows better! Aren't you?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment