Friday 30 April 2010

Not Easy This Time!

Political Main 3 Pack Conservative, Liberal Democrats and Labour Party Rosettes

Ok so it's done now. The postal vote has been filled in, and is waiting to be put into the postbox. What a decision.....
I have always taken a fair interest in politics, and the shenanigans they get into as they spin their lies, sorry policies, to get the keys to number 10. This time, I have been more interested and engaged than ever before, and have even written to candidates to see where they stand on certain issues. Did this help? Not a whole lot really! At the start of this election fever season, I decided that I would cast my lot with the most moral party. Surely that should be easy to find? Well, no, and that will be apparent if you have read any of the previous blogs. There are immoral policies and people in each one. So what made me decide on which one was for me? 
First, I had to go back to basics. What combination of party and policy did I think would address the challenges of our nations debt, and yes, whose hands would be the safest for our moral, ethical and Christian future? Know what? I may as well have blindfolded myself and put a pin in a piece of paper. One overriding, and driving force to make me pick one of them, is the fact that people in past wars fought and died to keep our freedoms, and we shouldn't take that lightly. Even if the political parties use and abuse this freedom, and continue to use smoke and mirrors, style and make up, to help us decide that theirs is the one.
Eventually, I looked, not at our prospective leaders, but at my local candidates, and that made it easier. After all, I didn't see Cameron, Brown or Clegg (or even Salmond) on my postal voting slip! Then it all got clearer. I decided  to look at my present MP's voting record on those important moral issues (this is easy to find online) and compare this to the other unknowns standing for election.  
So, I voted at last. Six days before the election, but only after the last leaders' debate on TV, and after I had done some personal homework on my own candidates. I don'y know if it will turn out to be the best decision I have ever made, but as a mere voter, I have done what I can with one of the greatest freedoms we are privileged to have in our nation, and that all by itself outweighs any doubt I may have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment