Monday 4 June 2018

The Journey - Nearing the End

When the sight of the summit comes into view, perhaps as you climb over a hillock, you find yourself smiling and getting an inner strength to make the final push to the peak. You know it will be worth it, partly because of the effort you have put in already, and partly due to the fact that in spite of the sore feet and legs, the sense of accomplishment is very real. And at this point, any pain is forgotten, and you can only see the summit. You are not quite there yet.

Have you been in the room of someone who is at the final part of their life’s journey, but haven’t quite reached the end? My experience has shown that there are folks who have made up their mind to be the kind of pilgrim who have an assurance that God will say, “Well done good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of heaven”. Being in the presence of a saint going home is an experience never to be forgotten. Sadly, there are some others who do not have that same peace, and the end of the road is clouded, dark, and uncertain.

The kind of journey’s end you and I will face is the result of our own choices down the years we have been given, until we got to this point. I have known many people who never gave their ‘ending’ much thought while they had the time, and when time was running out, they panicked. A few made a good end, but most didn’t. How about you?

I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have served the Lord faithfully. Now, a prize is waiting for me—the crown that will show I am right with God. The Lord, the judge who judges rightly, will give it to me on that Day. Yes, he will give it to me and to everyone else who is eagerly looking forward to his coming. 2 Timothy 4:7,8

No comments:

Post a Comment