Saturday 16 June 2018

Lamp and Light

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105 NIV

How much light do we need on our path? Or let me ask that another way. How much light do you WANT on your path? That’s a whole different thing, isn’t it? When we see what is happening on the world stage, do we really want to know for sure how it will all work out? I’m not sure my nerves would hold out if the news is bad, I mean really bad, and let’s face it, that is possible bearing in mind our world leaders.

But we have a gracious God who will allow us to see that part of the path we are on. No more, and certainly not so much that we couldn’t handle it. Knowing the present is enough trouble for most us already. The worries and cares of this life affect us all, and none more so than health. We will know of those who are suffering badly, in fact we may be in that situation ourselves. We usually don’t want to know how it will all end and our God is protecting us by showing only that part of our journey we need to see.

The end of the path could be a few steps away, and yet it might be a long time unfolding. The burden and worry of those possibly tough years ahead is something we don’t need to have on our minds. God knows this and provides the best answer for His children. The old song sums it up as the world sees it:

One day at a time sweet Jesus, That's all I'm asking from you.
Just give me the strength, To do everyday what I have to do.
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus, And tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord help me today, show me the way, One day at a time.

But I think Jesus puts it best when He shows His love for us in this verse:

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment