Sunday 14 May 2017

Safe Place

God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

There is something calming and soothing about this well known verse. Another translation says it like this God is our safe place and our strength. He is always our help when we are in trouble.” Do you have a safe place? One where you can retreat to, and you won’t be bothered by some of those well meaning people who don’t seem to be able to help, and a bit like Job’s comforters? If we don’t have a physical place, I would hazard a guess that you do it in the recesses of your mind.

We all need a refuge, or as I prefer, a ‘safe place’ where problems can be met head on, without someone saying, “don’t worry it will work out”. I know they mean well, but there are times you need to sort things out on your own because you know in your heart that things will not just ‘work out’ by themselves. Some problems need to be faced, and tackled, not ignored.

It doesn’t matter what age you are, or how clever, we know deep down when a problem has gone on for too long and now has to be encountered and dealt with. No two people are the same, and no two problems are the same. Every person and problem is uniquely personal, and therefore needs our personal attention. This is exactly the time that you and I need that ‘safe place’ where God can be allowed to work and speak into our heart. In the silence of our safe place, we may find that the resolution is in our own hands. Do we need to forgive someone? I don’t mean only to say I’m sorry, but to go that step further and forgive? No one said it would be easy, but it might just be what is needed. Many times it doesn’t matter whose fault it was or who started it, we need to reset our life and relationship. I have found that when I retreat to that quiet place, and God’s will becomes apparent, He does not show me the problems that need resolved in my friend’s life, but shows me the failings that must be addressed in my own. God is good, and so where better to start than in our place of refuge that is God’s safe place?

No comments:

Post a Comment