Monday 22 May 2017

Churchianity

You heard the true message, the Good News about the way God saves you. When you heard that Good News, you believed in Christ. And in Christ, God put his special mark on you by giving you the Holy Spirit that he promised. Ephesians 1:13

Ok, I know I take my faith seriously, but although my head may be in heaven, I hope my feet stay firmly rooted on the ground! If you take a browse round some online posts on theology, even from friends, I begin to hear and recognise my Mum’s words ringing in my ears as she said, “Heavenly minded, but no earthly good” and she meant. Let me explain. My Mum and Dad were basic, good, kind, and Godly examples in word and deed, but never strayed into the ‘big words’ arena. They were not educated to a great degree in the eyes of this world, but I would challenge you to find a better example of the Godly life in action.

It’s not that I don’t know some of these big theological words, or even what some mean, but are they really necessary when speaking outside the college classroom or lecture hall? Is it possibly a way to show how clever and well educated they are? Maybe to show their reading and Theology training? Does it act as an attraction to the unchurched, or the unsaved? Would big words bring conviction, and salvation? Somehow I doubt it, but it still goes on with those who have a ‘need’ to use them. Paul reminded the Ephesians that they were saved by the ‘Good News’ of the Gospel, and this was the only reason for early church growth. It was simple enough for the ordinary man and woman then, and still is today!

Of course, I have to recognise that it is also possible I am jealous and in awe of their superior education and knowledge, and perhaps I need to bring my own failings to the Lord and ask for forgiveness for my own simple and sinful pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment