Monday 31 October 2016

Hallowe'en Excuse

The argument of hallowe’en being a bit of innocent fun for children, or an evil, satanic, devilish adult festival goes on in the Christian mind, and always will. There are good reasons for both protecting childish innocence, and exposing the work of satan in our society.

Let me broaden the thought to include a part right in the centre of these two extremes. As a user of social media I have seen many images which would verge on the immoral and immodest, and if you use these platform you will have seen them too. This is an occasion used and abused usually by teenage girls to dress in such a way to appear a bit of hallowe’en fun, but also a way to dress provocatively for their own selfies.

Necklines are way down, hemlines way up to the point you wonder if the aim is for them to meet in the middle. Am I exaggerating? I don’t think so. As a Christian parent and grandparent, I confess to being particularly worried at this time of year. While young girls are literally ‘dressing down’, there is an element of equally aged boys who will see these girls and (right or wrong) take them to be promiscuous and easy prey. Oh I know the arguments from both sides. Girls have a right to dress how they like, and boys have a right to behave how they like too. In a few years time these same young people will grow up, and have a family of their own. My prayer is that there will be no regrets carried into that new life, and that applies to the boys as well as the girls.

For these reasons I cannot wish you a Happy Hallowe’en, but that common sense and God will protect vulnerable girls during this hunting season. It may sound boring right now, but these words are truth at any age:

Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety. 1 Timothy 2:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment