Saturday 29 October 2016

Tru-lary. The Solution?

I admit it. It’s my own fault. I watched the debates, all three. Since they were aired in the middle of my night, I recorded them and watched the next day. You would have thought one would have been enough, but no, I had to watch all three. It was like seeing a car crash or a train wreck. I didn’t want to see any more, but I watched anyway. I couldn’t help myself, and I am asking why, now that we are down to a few days before the USA Presidential Election. Mind you ‘Presidential’ is one thing neither of these candidates are, but one of them will become President, but neither has behaved in a ‘Presidential’ manner, and as an outsider with no vested interest, that worries me.

I have, and still do, enjoy a good relationship with our American cousins. As a family we had the pleasure to live and work in various parts of the great nation, staying a year or more at a time, over five separate visits and three different States. I found the country, and its people equally kind hearted, friendly, and sincere. Imagine my shock to have followed this election and see the nasty side, not just of politicians, but of ordinary people, some whom claim to be Christian.

Are these two candidates the best this great nation can muster? Let me be clear, we can’t blame the candidates for being where they are. That is down to the voting that took place person by person, State by State to whittle down many starters to the two now left to finish the race. I think that is what surprised me most. The bad blood, rancour, lies, half truths, arrogance, bullying, infantile tantrums, closed mind tactics by the leaders and their followers who will support them in just about anything they say is what got to me most. I am reminded of the truth of these verses by David in Psalm 36:2-4 (NIV):

“In their own eyes they flatter themselves too much to detect or hate their sin. The words of their mouths are wicked and deceitful; they fail to act wisely or do good. Even on their beds they plot evil; they commit themselves to a sinful course and do not reject what is wrong.”

No comments:

Post a Comment