Tuesday 11 October 2016

The Fallen Mighty

The beauty of Israel is slain upon thy high places: how are the mighty fallen! Tell it not in Gath, publish it not in the streets of Askelon; lest the daughters of the Philistines rejoice, lest the daughters of the uncircumcised triumph. 2 Samuel 1:19,20

Perhaps like me, you watched the bitter and acrimonious exchanges between the best candidates for the highest post in the world, the presidency of the United States of America. As I watched, I couldn’t help but think of the Scripture verse quoted because the situation is just the same. The Bible also warns us that “The heart is deceitful above all things” Jeremiah 17:9, and this is another fine example of deceit at its best (or maybe that should be ‘worst’).

I have witnessed playground disagreements carried out in a better way, and not by trading insult upon insult, which reduces a 90 minute debate to a 20 minute display of questionable factual information. For my part, I can only hope and pray that the ‘Commander in Chief’ of the USA is not Donald Trump. I have never seen anyone at such a high level behave so badly, where everything he has done and said is denied, even in the face of clear evidence.

Please do not misunderstand me, all political candidates will avoid the whole truth, and only give you the part that shows them up in a good light, but I was struck by the petty, repetitive, childish, inconsiderate, misleading rhetoric pushed on an audience who deserve better. I will go one step further, if the electorate vote for Trump as President, they deserve each other and the world will watch with fear. In our verse, David was embarrassed and lamented over Saul and Jonathan. He didn’t want his nation’s enemies to gloat over this great fall and failing. How much more should America mourn the passing of their greatness in the eyes of God and their friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment