Wednesday 31 October 2018

What If Church?

Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Galatians6:7-9ESV

What is your idea of church? If you are older, and have been going to church for a number of years, you must have seen changes. I am guessing you accepted some, but held your nose with others mostly because church attendance was important to you, and it is Scriptural after all.

There are many denominations within the Reformed tradition, so if you were unhappy with the changing direction of your own doctrine and fellowship, what would you do?

What if church was viewed as a morning or evening out with friends? Or a way to have a nice time? Or to be entertained? Or a social event? Any kind of gradually reducing Spiritual content would then be taken as part of the territory and would be accepted as normal going forward.

A friend from a different denomination made a refreshing comment which warmed my heart. It wasn’t about the programs in his church, or the outreach, or the growth figures. No, he said simply, “all I know is that Jesus is my Saviour, my sins are forgiven, and I am bound for heaven.” I mean, who talks like that anymore? (said with my tongue firmly in my cheek). Seriously, shouldn’t our conversation with Christian friends be more like that, and not our football team, or our latest baking experience, a photo of our dinner plate, or even our latest diet? Just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment