Monday 1 March 2010

Pride and Humility

I was intrigued by David Cameron's statement that it was his 'patriotic duty' to oust Gordon Brown from power at number 10 Downing Street. It seemed to me at least, quite a proud, and arrogant statement - even for a power chasing politician. I am not making a political point, but making an observation on a human characteristic.


In contrast to that statement, I received an email this week which said that this person was told off by a boss because they did not 'shout their knowledge of their job from the rooftops', especially when making presentations to prospective clients. This person, perhaps due their upbringing, was  not comfortable at pushing their own image, but was just doing their job, as best they could. In other words, the clients would make their minds up based on their ability, not on how loud they shouted about themselves! As I said, what a contrast, and what a lesson for our politicians! Anyone can speak well of themselves, but it means more when it is voiced by others around them. 


My dear old Mum gave me a warning about 'me, myself, and I' and she was right. There is something refreshing about humility, and we are able to see it clearly when it is shown. It is not self effacing. It is not 'in your face' as we hear in sporting circles, it is quiet but very, very effective, and a joy to see and hear. I suppose there are times when we have to let others know that we are up to the job, and that is ok, but there is only a short step from pride to arrogance, and I know where my vote lies. 


Humility is a grand and noble desire, but if we ever think we have achieved it, we have just lost it. Humility is best seen by others, and not in ourselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment