Friday 27 July 2018

Omniscience

But he knows where I am going. And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold. Job 23:10 NLT

Some very clever theologians who hold to the belief that God has given man Free Will, have a problem with God’s Omniscience. The basic thought goes something like this: If we really do have free will, and it is independent of God’s desire, how can God know what we will do, until we do it? Only then can He react and step in. You will probably have to read that a few times to let it sink in.

Psalm 139 gives us a clear insight to God’s undisputed omniscience. He will not determine our path, but God certainly knows it. In fact it is clear that God knows our every path. This may disturb you, but for my part it gives great comfort. Here are some verses from Psalm 139 which support that claim:

V2-4 “You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely.”

I see this as a reference to the present and the future.

V6,7 “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?”

Unfortunately, I see and read of some very learned professors using their own education and reasoning to figure out God while cherry picking their own Bible thoughts. My own belief is that God does not make our decisions for us, but He does know what we will do before we act. Why? Because God is love, we enjoy God given free will, and we are not robots.

No comments:

Post a Comment