Monday 6 June 2016

A Prayer

O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds.
So even to old age and grey hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation….. Psalm 71:17,18

If you had one wish for your life, what would it be? Would it possibly take the form of a prayer like the Psalmist? In our youth, we seldom have time or the desire to think beyond our own needs, or the immediate needs of our family if we are blessed with one. The real question behind my words is, what is most important to you, and what do you want your legacy to be when you are gone?

We all know folks who have walked this life, done good, lived close to their Lord and God, and we relish their memory much more than some others. The reason for this is their quest and zest for life, and for passing something of that enthusiasm down to the rest of us. The way they did that was through their simple, unassuming, uncluttered faith. And we can do the same.

The best way for us to influence others for good is firstly to get old gracefully. We joke about that, but there is a truth underlying the words. There is no better or greater example than one given from a full heart, and a love for God which drives all other loves. When we are close to God, we automatically become closer to our spouse, children and friends and without it being an effort. So while life lasts, at whatever age we are, let us live out the words of the Psalmist when he prays: So even to old age and grey hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation.

The ageing  Apostle of Love, John, puts it so well when he records his own thoughts in 3 John 4,I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” Amen to that prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment