Thursday 28 April 2016

I Don't Gossip?

For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder. 2 Corinthians 12:20

The apostle Paul knew the people he was writing to, and was aware of their hearts. They claimed to be following Jesus, but they had some serious shortcomings. We think this verse can be discounted compared to some ‘bigger’ sins considered more significant, so why did he have to bring slander and gossip up at all? After all, we know better nowadays and don’t do that in our church, and anyway I wouldn’t stoop to that level when talking about anyone, and certainly never about my fellow believers. Right?

Do you ever listen to the words as they come out of your mouth, raw and unfiltered? Others listening might hear clues like, “Did you see what she did”? Or, “They made a right mess of that”. Or, “I wouldn’t have done it like him”. Or, “Other folk don’t like her, and I can see why”. Or, “He’s no good at that job, so he should quit and let someone else do it.” Or, “Are they really Christians, because you would never know”. Do you see yourself in these critical comments now?

Face it. You gossip, and so do I. Paul saw it in his Corinthian friends, even though they didn’t, and we are no different. Gossip is one of those sins we can see easily in other people, but don’t recognise it in our own lives. Because everybody does it, we just fit in so readily. The final word must come from Paul’s word to his church in Ephesus:

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29

No comments:

Post a Comment