Thursday 7 February 2013

What Are You?

What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them. Matthew 15:11 NIV

For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. “Eat and drink!” he says to you, but his heart is not with you. Proverbs 23:7 NKJV

The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it? Jeremiah 17:9 NKJV

Customers in the UK have been eating horse meat, labelled on some processed food packaging as ‘beef’, and they didn’t know. I’m not sure about you, but I like to know what I am eating. I am quite adventurous, and have eaten some strange foods, but I always believed what it was supposed to be. For me, it doesn’t really matter that it was horse meat, it was more the lie in the labelling. I’ll say it again, I like to know what is going into my digestive system, and I am not alone with that. I like the idea that it is (or should be) what it says on the tin.

The old saying, “You are what you eat” comes to mind and to a certain extent this is true. Take a look round at the sizes of some of your friends. So we take a lot of notice and care about what goes IN! But do we take any notice of what comes OUT of our mouths? In fact do we really care? The kind of heart you have determines what comes out of your mouth, and as far as God is concerned, He is more worried that our inside is right, and less concerned about what we eat!

So, why don’t we take at least as much interest in the condition of our heart, and not the road from our mouth to our stomach. That way, we can be assured that our tongue will not be foul, or lying, or deceiving, and that would be a real improvement to the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment