Saturday 2 February 2013

Married Couples


The long promised ‘Married Couples Tax Allowance’ trailed over the past months by the present LibCon coalition has been scrapped today. It wasn’t a lot of money, so that isn’t really the biggest problem or issue as far as I am concerned. I also know it would have applied to ‘civil partnerships’.

The climate of liberalism (small ‘l’) has been running amok in our society these past few years, and as a nation, we have bent and conceded to almost every liberal view and thought. There is no coincidence in my own mind that this latest decision is linked directly to the present intention to ‘sanctify’ (yes I said ‘sanctify?’ but only at a government level), same sex marriage legislation. I have little doubt that the law endorsing same sex marriage will succeed, and since I live in a chosen democracy I will have to accept it as law, but equally, I still do have a choice as to whether I accept it as a right or moral or good thing. Well, at the moment I still have that freedom, although there are many out there who would want me to be denied that right, and who knows, they may succeed in the future sometime.

So, for me it is a simple connection. It is not acceptable or good for the LibCon coalition to stand behind normal (yes I said normal) married couples, but there is the sound of Cameron and Clegg’s marching boots as same sex marriage is pushed through the government lobbies. Coincidence? You may think so, I don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment