Tuesday 5 February 2013

No Further


‘This far you may come, but no farther, and here your proud waves must stop!’ Job 38:11 NKJV

Job was having a discussion with God. In fact, it was really an argument, because Job was in a sticky situation. He had lost everything of any worth or value in his life, including his wife, family, belongings, and then to cap it off his body was covered in boils, and all because God allowed it to happen. Wouldn’t you have done the same and yelled at God?

Have you ever argued with God when something goes badly wrong in your life, and you need something or someone to blame? I think it is fair to say we have all done that at some time. The trouble is that we don’t always know when to stop. Job was being goaded on by his friends who were no help or comfort at all. So God stepped in with the verse above. He had enough of Job’s complaining, and the passage goes on to remind us all just who is in control, and surprise of surprises, it’s not us!

We have limits and boundaries we should not cross when we deal with God. I know from experience that it can help to get your feelings out where God can deal with them, but let’s allow God to do just that, and not keep harping back to the same problems we claimed we had left with Him before. There are many occasions when we should stop and go no further, or we can get into areas we don’t belong. So take care when you pray, and allow God to answer, but when He says ‘no further’ accept that He means it, and knows best. After all, He IS God!! Oh and as for Job, God healed and restored in every area of his life so it was a good ending to a sorry story, and our God will bring us through too!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here. I think you have taken this verse out of context. The Lord I've come to know is gracious, loving and kind. Job 38 is about God answering Job in the spirit of 'Fear not, I have my hand on all this - you'll never understand the whys - I Am the WHY!'. I don't believe it is a chiding of any kind.

    In addition, talk of restoration in 'every area' of Job's life - to me - lacks a little heart, at best. You can't lose a child and replace it with another. You can't lose a wife and just go get another. People are not consumables. These children that Job lost were more precious in Job's heart than any of us may ever understand. I'm sure he never really got over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,

      I appreciate and understand your thoughts and concerns and even the disagreement. The book of Job has always intrigued me and even confused me at times, and I asked the same questions about Job and his feelings. Basic things like. 'why did God allow Job's family to be used and taken?' After all, this was God who allowed it to happen in the first place. My only defence is contained in Chapter 42 which is sometimes entitled 'Job's repentance and restoration' and where the restoration is outlined. Too much to quote it all, but what do we do with a verse 10? 'And the Lord restored Job's losses..... twice as much as He had before'. I have questions too about the worth of Job's wife and family, and how these can ever be replaced or restored? I have to take God's Word as my final authority, and God as Sovereign in all He does, even though I cannot understand it.

      I also believe Job grieved greatly in all his losses, especially his wife and family. To suffer that kind of loss and yet still come to seeing that God's will is always best, is a lesson few of us have to face. I have had to face only a part of that, and for me it was enough, but my faith stayed intact, although I have to admit to it being shaken badly.

      I may not have answered your point adequately. I am not a Biblical scholar, just trying to understand eternal things a bit better, and I thank you for your 'respectful disagreement'.

      God Bless, David.

      Delete