Wednesday 2 May 2012

Why Church?

Good question. Especially when churches in general get such a bad press. There are places of ‘worship’ which are more social in outlook, others which are closed to outsiders who do not have a letter of recommendation, and all shades in between. However, ‘worship’ is the key word, and is something to be enjoyed by everyone who names the name of Jesus from any denomination, and not just a select few. Church is, or should be, a place where like minded people meet to recognise that God means something to them, and while they worship, they also do their best to care for, and get along with each other. After all, we will share eternity with a very large family, not all of whom will go to our church, or denomination.

I suppose the underlying question might be: ‘Why my church, and not another’? Is it because I was brought up there? Or my history is tied to this church? Or maybe because I can see my friends when I attend? Perhaps the message is challenging, or the singing is roof lifting? It has comfy seating, and clean toilets? There are programs for all ages, and everyone feels so welcome, even visitors? I can park my car or walk safely to the meetings? The services are enthusiastic, and the spirit of God is evident? Did I miss anything?

Now here is the dangerous question. In an age when churches struggle, and need more members, why should any person give their time and support to their own particular church? Is there a neat formula for a successful place of worship? I don’t think so, but I can’t help but think we have to make every soul count. Oh, did I say ‘soul’? Yes, when all is said and done, that is at the very heart of why we choose a church, and in order to feel a part of a thriving church, I have to think we must see evidence that souls are important. If not, we are maybe going to the wrong place on Sundays. I believe that church is many things to different people, and what suits one person, may not suit another. It is about the whole package, with an emphasis on the essential life changing work that Jesus did on the cross, and does for us now. If that does not make us different and better people, and our church does not tap into it, maybe we should be looking for another place of worship. After all, we will not be asked any of the trivia questions asked earlier, but only if we believed in the gospel enough to try to make a difference, and were truly able to worship among real friends, and in spirit and in truth. Anything else is selling ourselves or indeed our faith, short. Thankfully, we still have a choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment