Wednesday 23 May 2012

God in Heaven

Have you ever heard expressions like “Good heavens” or “My God” or “For heaven’s sake” or “For God’s sake” or similar? Have they been used in a religious or non religious way? In what context have you heard them?

I was given this thought to ponder recently, by a pastoral student of scripture, who had been given it as a project. My first reaction was that these kinds of phrases are not used by Christians, but then I had to think again. I have heard these words used quite often by many, and sometimes even by Christians. Should I be concerned by this lax use of words like, “God”, or “Heaven”? You tell me!

The abbreviation OMG is used often in texts, emails and social networking as a way to show surprise or amazement. If asked about it, you are answered with the remark that it means “Oh My Goodness” or “Oh My Gosh”. Really? Then there are those words which we use very carefully because they are a substitute for a swear word. They sound like one, and sometimes even rhyme with the offending word, and yet we excuse ourselves because we haven’t actually used the ‘bad’ word. Yes, maybe it is an excuse, but a poor one at that. Are we so intent on looking and sounding like the world around us, that we are prepared to stoop to their levels? I am not suggesting that you swear. No, I am suggesting that as a Christian, your language should be above that used by your mates.

There are religions which guard their god’s name to the death! That could not be said of the Christian faith, could it? I think we adopt the saying, “If you can’t beat them, join them” and so we let our talk degenerate to the lowest level. Do we think so lowly about our God, and His Heaven, that we do not care how we use His name? We can do no better that listen to the words of Jesus Himself. Are you up to the challenge, or do you think it doesn’t apply?

Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’  But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne;  nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Matt 5:33-35

No comments:

Post a Comment