Wednesday 30 May 2012

Life Long Legacy

1912 was a great year. The centenary celebrations of the launch of the ‘Titanic’, the greatest ocean liner of its day have just about died down. Of course the greatest ship also sunk on its maiden voyage when it struck an iceberg. There was another more significant event which was barely noticed. A baby girl was brought into a fast changing world, and grew up to survive two world wars, and the great depression of the 1930s. She took her place in the world of work and family life, and I came to know this lady in the 1960s. Ella Barclay, and her husband Bobby, were strong influences in my life, and this is my thank you for that living legacy.

Ella Barclay celebrated her 100th Birthday on 28 May 2012, with a card from the Queen, but most importantly, with her family around her. A large and loving family at that. I have often wondered what would be the best thing I could be, or leave with my family and friends. I think the example of a Godly life, like Ella’s has to be top of the list.

You see, to understand my feelings fully, I have to tell you a story. A true story. In the mid 1960s Ella was a respected and gracious lady who loved the teens in her church. She had a heart (and still does) for the young folk who were placed in her path, and loved them ‘for her Lord’. This was, and still is unmistakable to anyone who knows this special lady. One teenage girl, who came from a poor family, and from the ‘wrong side of town’, had started to attend the girls’ youth group, led by Ella. In true style, Ella witnessed about her Lord. Not in a high handed way, but by a loving example which was new and refreshing to the girls in the group, but especially to this one shy and apprehensive girl. The words spoken by Ella have stayed with me since then. “It doesn’t matter who you are, or where you come from, God loves you”. The message was simple and found their mark on a hungry heart. That heart changed, and was to become my friend and wife. Margaret was never the same again. She had found her reason for living, and I was allowed to share it thanks to the Godly example of Ella.

So, to Ella Barclay, now a grand 100 years young, thank you for being you. No one else, just yourself, and for the loving heart you gave to many others outwith your own family. Your reward is here and now, but also right now, in heaven... all thanks to you. For my own part, I have so much to learn, but with examples like Ella to work from, I can see the way ahead. Oh, and the more important happening of 1912? Was it the sinking Titanic, or the heavenly heart? No doubt in my mind. The Titanic is a poor second place. My heartfelt thanks for a Life Long Legacy, go to Ella Barclay, a very special and Godly lady. What higher accolade could there be in the here and now of our troubled world, than the eternal effect on other lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment