Wednesday 11 January 2012

Independence

I am a Scot, living in Scotland, and consider myself Scottish, but yet British at the same time. I do not see this as a contradiction, although some might. The subject of Scottish independence is on the news agenda again, and getting a lot of air time. Let’s face it, the outcome either way will affect each of us who live in the United Kingdom. Yes, I see our joint identity as a United Kingdom. The news item grabbed me because there appear to be three choices which may be put to the Scottish population. Independence Yes or No, which is an easy one to understand as you will either be in favour of the idea or not. The other choice being discussed is referred to as Devo Max, or Indi Lite. A kind of half way house, and neither one nor the other. Not wholly Scottish and not fully British.

I don’t want to make a political point here, but I see a clear parallel in our Christian lives and faith. Particularly the Indi Lite option, after all you know where you stand when someone either agrees or disagrees with you, and your belief. Christians or Atheists? The differences are obvious, but what about an equivalent ‘Christ-Lite’ version of faith? Do we see evidence of this around us now? How about this for a thought? Are we trying to be ‘Christ-Like’ or ‘Christ-Lite’?

The standard God sets us is high. 1 Peter 1v15 says “But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” This is no light or easy target. It is a gold standard, but according to the Bible, with God’s help, it is reachable. Do we maybe settle for a ‘Christ-Lite’ version of our faith sometimes, because it suits us?

It’s a very personal question, but do you see areas of your life as more ‘Christ Lite’ than ‘Christ Like’? I know I do! The words of Revelation 3v15,16 are given to us as a warning. ”I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.” Makes me want to work harder at being ‘Christ Like’, how about you? After all, this vote is eternal!

2 comments:

  1. As a Christian I feel the greatest problem in our churches (or line of thinking) is the need for guilt which is often unintentional at that. You quote 1 Peter 1v15. I quote Isaiah 64:6 'and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags'.

    Recently I came across the messages's translation of 1 Cor 6:9 (Unjust people who don't care about God will not be joining in his kingdom. Those who use and abuse each other, use and abuse sex, use and abuse the earth and everything in it, don't qualify as citizens in God's kingdom).

    It seems the church is eager to point at a 'wayward' brothers who has (for example) chosen a life of homosexuality. Yet, those amongst us who are obese haven't used and abused food, have we??

    Our external vices surely don't display our hearts? A previously habitual drunkard who is now only inebriated 10 times a year, is somewhat sanctified in his heart. Each of us is born with a unique personality, physical appearance, and emotional intelligence. Maybe if you run the hundred meters in 20 secs that is good form, for you. Whereas if Linford Christie clocked the same time it would be poor form. Everything is relative. If ONLY we could introduce this to Christianity.

    Yes, I'm a 'Christian Lite'-like follower. So much more I could do, say, not do, etc. Still, I have to live in grace and remember as the message's version of Romans 4:5 tells me 'If you're a hard worker and do a good job, you deserve your pay; we don't call your wages a gift. But if you see that the job is too big for you, that it's something only God can do, and you trust him to do it—you could never do it for yourself no matter how hard and long you worked—well, that trusting-him-to-do-it is what gets you set right with God, by God. Sheer gift'.

    Don't be so hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, and I will try not to be too hard on myself, but I can't seem to get away from the fact that I need to keep on the road, just like Paul in....Philippians 3:12-16 (New International Version) 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. 15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

      Yes, so much is relative, but the goal is not! I see growth as just that, growth! Even Paul didn't think he had arrived, so why should we?

      Delete