Saturday 21 January 2012

Once Saved

The word ‘saved’ in church circles isn’t used so much anymore, but I still feel it is a descriptive word which is hard to replace. On that theme, one of the great differences, even divisions, between Bible believing scholars is the doctrine of eternal security. This is neatly shrunk into the phrase, ‘once saved always saved’, which is in contrast to the other side of the coin which is that you can be saved at one time, and yet ultimately lost. To put it another way, you can lose your salvation, or to be more accurate, relinquish it by choice (your choice, not God’s). The favourite verses in support of the ‘once saved’ thinking is found in Romans.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38,39 (NIV)

I love the concept of being secure in the love of God, but am I untouchable? Can I choose to opt out of that security? I notice that the verse talks about nothing being able to separate us from the love of God. It does not talk about our salvation. It is easy to understand the eternal love of God, and our own pastor has just finished a series on the love chapter of 1 Cor 13, and what a series of inspiring insights. It is not just that God is a God OF love, but He IS love. I like that. But does God’s constant love to me absolve me from my own responsibilities? Can I stray away from God’s love? No, but can I stray away from my God given responsibilities? Yes, I think I can, and so bring a level of judgement on myself.

What do you think Jesus meant in Luke Chapter 9v62?
Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plough and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:62 (NIV)

Since all scripture is inspired, we cannot ignore either of these verses, or any other for that matter, so it would do us well to take note of them. Here’s another one to think about:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 2 Tim 4:7,8 (NIV)

I see the key words in this verse as our responsibility, and I think Timothy agrees. Words like, ‘fought’ and ‘finished’, and ‘kept’. These are for us to work on, and strive for during our life here on earth. We only have this life to do that, and we should recognise and embrace the opportunity and challenge. So, during this race, are we happy to be watching, or running? Remember the old saying, which the old saint Ella Barclay reminded us of often, “Only one life, ‘twill soon be past, only what’s done for Jesus will last”. Let’s live as though we believed it, and keep our eternal accounts short! Once saved, always saved? I am not sure about the doctrine, but I do know I have to take responsibility for my own eternal destination, and not rely on a commitment decision I made over 50 years ago as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment