Saturday 3 September 2011

Sectarianism-The Jury Decides


There were thousands who saw the attack happen live in open view on the touchline of the Celtic v Hearts game last year. Millions of others saw it replayed time and again on national TV. It was the talk of anyone who even had a passing interest in either football (Scotland's game) or bigotry (Scotland's shame). I think I speak for most ordinary people, that the unwarranted and unprovoked attack on the Celtic Manager, Neil Lennon, was based on a religious bias.

The court case against the accused was last week, and the jury decided. Not the police who were there to see and hear the attack, not the staff who were also in sight and earshot of the verbal and physical abuse, not the judge and not even the witnesses. It was the 'jury of our peers' who brought the not proven verdict. In other words, there was no proof of religious bias, in spite of reliable eye and ear witnesses!

I had mistakenly thought that we were trying to get on top of bigotry/religious bias/sectarianism in Scottish football and society, but it is now evident that the problem goes much deeper. A jury is not hand picked. It is a random group of ordinary folks who find themselves on the jury benches. They are the ones who are influenced by the legal arguments and the various witnesses, and yet they still brought a not proven verdict. Only Scotland (to my knowledge) has this halfway house of a verdict which sits between guilty and not guilty.

Since this random jury group made this strange decision, I have to conclude that we, as a society, cannot see our own bigoted and sectarian problem. Now, I am left to wonder if we even want to work at eradicating this evil. After all, it is only a problem if you see it as such, and for me it feels like trying to climb up a greasy rope. A lot of effort to get nowhere. Would someone please tell me I'm wrong, and encourage me??

4 comments:

  1. I think we face a crossroads in *our* lives. The number of books, sermons and blogs I read pertaining to the problem of 'sin in our society' makes me feel ashamed as a Christian. Why are we so keen to be self-righteous? When The Times invited several eminent authors to write essays on the theme "What's Wrong with the World?" Chesterton's contribution took a extremely short, simple response in the form of a letter: "Dear Sirs, I am." Let us stop pointing the finger. Maybe let us right the world by 'projecting' our personal sin in public and then the whole hypocrisy that follows the church and keeps people from it might die a death and more souls maybe won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James, I appreciate your comments, but don't know quite how to take them. The verse "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ" comes to mind, because it "is the power of God to salvation". Salvation from what? Sin. I am concerned that you "feel ashamed as a Christian" Why? Is it really because some have a heightened sense of the damage of sin? You are right that we are all sinners, but loved by God all the same. "How will they (sinners) know without a preacher (someone to tell them)? Is it self righteous to be glad that God saves you? Even Paul was glad of that, and in his mind he was chief of sinners. Anyway, enough of the ramble. I know I haven't answered your comment, but as I said at the start, I am not sure how to take them. How do you think we should spread the good news??
    Thanks again, and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I didn't answer 'how should we spread the word?'. Easy, stop condemning sin and being all fire and brimstone. Maybe make an honest and complete list of our own sin and share it with the world. We attend the church because we are sick people; sin-sick people. Let us not be an example of hypocrites lest this surely will be the quickest turn-off to those seeking something more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again James, you are raising an important point here. Where is the line between the Christian recognising/condemning sin (your word) and the sinner (yes we all are) recognising their own sin? Are you suggesting the Christian should just join in and ignore the problem in the hope that the sinner (maybe even us!)changes? And I reread the blog. There is no mention of Christian or church or sinner or condemnation, so can I ask which part you do take issue with? Do you think Scottish society has a deep rooted religious sectarian/bigotry problem or not? Or are your comments related to another blog? That would help me to understand better. For the record, I am a great believer in hearing both sides of a discussion, in the hope that we can learn together. I am not past learning and even growing! It seems we are both church goers, so already we have a lot in common! Thanks for your public openness. God Bless, David.

    ReplyDelete