Saturday 25 June 2011

A Real Test

Millie Dowler was 13 years old when she disappeared 'in the blink of an eye' as the detective put it, in 2002. Nine years later, her killer was in dock and found guilty of murder. It was not his first. He was in prison already for similar crimes... another two murders!

The court representatives, barristers, defence and prosecution lawyers all knew the man in the dock was a serial killer, but his defence took his time in trying to break Millie's parents, especially her Mum, by suggesting that the young teen was depressed and a problem. So what!!! It turns out he was doing his job of defending a killer, and if it meant dragging Millie's already grieving Mum through the fire, he didn't care. Even to the point of directly causing her to collapse under the weight of his vicious questioning, and being carried out of the courtroom. All he was thinking about was his fee. At this point, I am beginning to question who was worse, the killer or his defence lawyer? Seriously.

As a Dad to two girls, and a Granda to four, two boys and two girls, I think I would be in great danger of losing both my temper and my salvation if any of them came to harm in that way, by a cynical and calculating killer and his complicit lawyer. A killer without remorse, and a lawyer without scruples or morals who are well matched is a dreadful combination.

How would I be judged? I think in this life, I would have sympathy and support. Lots of it, but what about my ultimate judgement? On the same theme, how will a merciful God judge a Mum, Dad, and Sister, who did not see justice done, and only wanted their beautiful daughter and sister's killer to suffer as she had, “an eye for an eye”. They want the ultimate price to be paid by the killer, who instead will live out his days getting hot meals, entertainment, exercise, and 3 star prison treatment, while they live without their very loved one.

Can I judge this family as being wrong, or sinning in their anger and loss? No, I can't. I don't know how I would react in the same situation, and I hope God will protect all my family from harm, and me from ever having to decide whether forgiveness is a price I can pay. In the words of the old saying, “There but for the Grace of God, go I”.

No comments:

Post a Comment