Monday 16 May 2011

Elitism

Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me. Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child. Let Israel hope in the Lord from henceforth and for ever. Ps 131:1-3 (KJV)

It is hard to believe that this is one of David's Psalms. By the time he writes this song, he is well established as king, ruler, as the apple of God's eye, and a man after God's own heart, he has every right to feel superior. There are few, if any, others in the Bible who enjoyed as much of God's forgiveness, grace, and favour. In spite of this, or maybe because of this, he was humbled. This is a lovely reminder of the safety we feel in the comfort of a loving God. These verses need no explanation. Where else in the world does a child feel safe, secure, and quiet, but in the arms of a loving Mum?

I have been reminded recently of those who give the impression of living close to their Saviour, but who are anything but humble. Why is this? There are some pointers I would like to leave with you, and there may be others which you have come across, and recognise.

In previous years, the Holiness Movement was considered by some to be elitist, mainly because of the things they did not do, not those things they did. More recently, the charismatic movement have spawned a generation of Christians who like to be considered elite, due to the numbers of 'signs and wonders' they can perform, albeit in Jesus name. Then there are the devout followers of Calvin's teachings of eternal security, and predestination, fondly known as 'once saved, always saved' who seem to come across as one-up on the rest of us. You can tell me if you think I am off course in my thinking.

David had more reason than any, to consider himself 'elite', but he didn't. The Psalms are full of his pleadings with God for a clean heart, and a good and right spirit. I would suggest that if David could not, no would not, consider himself elite, neither should any of us. We have a lot less going for us than David, except that is for the knowledge of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, who shows the best life of humility we cannot ignore, and one to hold as an example.

My blog is based on experience, and so for me this is true. Perhaps you have not found this in your own life, and I hope you don't. By far the biggest offenders are not those of a particular denomination, because they are spread over many. No, for me, the biggest offenders are those who do not see it in themselves. Let us all pray (me included) that we remember the words of Jesus, “Blessed are the meek (humble), for they shall inherit the earth”. In so doing, I like to think we will also inherit our place in Heaven. What a prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment