Monday 2 May 2011

Dissimulation

Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another. Romans 12:9-10 (KJV)


Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honour one another above yourselves. Romans 12:9-10 (NIV)

I like the language and sentiment of the King James version of these verses, although the NIV says it better in today's language. The unmistakeable theme is sincerity. The idea of true sincerity (NIV) being likened to the simulation of sincerity (KJV) cannot have missed you. I took the time to look up the word in the original text, and the word 'hypocrisy' jumped out at me. I detest that word, and the implications it conveys. This word is almost exclusively reserved for Christians, as seen through the eyes of the skeptic or unbeliever, so it has a real barb for those of who are serious about living the best life we can for the Lord. It is a description we should try to avoid at all costs, as it can do untold damage to the growth of God's Kingdom here on this earth!

I remember the first time I heard these verses, or at least the first time they stuck with me, and they were given in the King James language. “Don't let your (brotherly) love be a sham, or an embarrassment” was the way it was preached, and the concept took hold. I will be the first to own up to missing the mark so very often, but I have become more aware of its importance, in me and my fellow Christians, as time has passed. I think it is easier, much easier, so see this insincerity in others, than in ourselves. So, that's where a good friend comes in. One that can tell you what they see, but without either of you being offended, or embarrassed. Such friends are few, but essential. I pray you and I, have at least one!

No comments:

Post a Comment