Wednesday 18 August 2010

Good Children Make Good Parents

I used to question the validity of that statement, which was made to us about our own children many years ago now. It was made by a respected friend who had been getting to know us while we were all living in America. At first I put it down to one of those sayings which had no real depth or meaning, but now I think differently. I believe it to be true.


Yes, at first the tables are turned. Your children are young, and you try to be good parents, so you try to make good children. You do your best to give values, manners, and just good common sense into their young lives, and that works for a while. But years pass, and your values, may not become your children's values. Your ideals may not be shared by your children as they find their own way in life, and that is normal, and to be expected. I have seen parents change their values because of their children, but I have been fortunate. That is where the change over happens.


I now see in my own children, the same interest and drive, to instil values and manners and good common sense into their own children, and once again I feel proud. The cycle continues. But it's more than that, I feel privileged to be the Dad whose children now, perhaps unknowingly, give me the honour of making me a 'good parent'. That honour is not mine alone. It also belongs to another, and more so, but she is not here to see the benefit or feel the pride, but I know she would approve and also feel that pride too. Thanks Margaret, you did a great job, and without you, who knows how things would have turned out. You have earned your reward!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment