Saturday 31 July 2010

Soaring!

I stood proudly, and quietly, in the drizzle of rain at Glasgow Airport, and watched my older grandson take to the skies in a small, single engined plane, for his first flying lesson. I held my breath, and then breathed again, time after time, as the plane, containing a precious passenger, dipped higher and lower in the sky after a flawless take off. They banked, circled the airport and occasionally disappeared out of sight, behind a cloud, or just too far off to see. I held my breath again for a while.


As the plane climbed higher and higher, I couldn't help but sense the feeling that as he disappeared from my view, he was closer again to, and in better sight of, his Gran, who would be smiling, encouraging him and saying, "..attaboy son, go for it. Follow your dream"! 


The lesson was short, but will live in all our hearts and minds for a long time to come, and for many different reasons.  

No comments:

Post a Comment