Thursday 29 July 2010

The American Dream

I have just returned from a holiday to the USA. I went with family, and to see family too, as well as do the parks and relax and take in the Florida 'experience'. It was a great time, and one which I have been able to do in previous years, as well as living and working there in different states for months at a time, so I understand the culture, and the people to a degree.


The 'American Dream' is often talked about with a sense of awe, and respect. The US is a country to follow your dreams, and find your full potential, but there is a fly in the ointment. It's not all rosy. There are many, many poor and disadvantaged people there who have never quite achieved the dream, and you can find a big gulf between the rich and the poor. The 'haves' and the 'have nots' are easily spotted.


An old uncle who emigrated to the USA during the 1930's depression to find work, and live the dream, once told me, "you are ok here as long as you are working and young. This country doesn't like the old and sick". He was speaking to me in his retirement home where all his hard earned cash was being sucked away by the State, until he was left penniless. I had another reminder of that same conversation recently. Apparently, it is still true.


I may get some comments from my American friends and family, but I have long given up with my complaints about the National Health Service in the UK. It has its flaws. Many of them, but our governments, whatever the colour, work to protect the NHS even in this age of cutbacks and austerity. Of course there is abuse of the system, but the alternative does not bear thinking about. While the US medical system is run by insurance companies, not the medical profession, and only about 20% of what is paid in insurance premiums actually goes to the medical staff (the rest goes into the insurance company profits account) for treatment, it is easy to see the truth of my old uncle's statement. My recent experience in the US confirms that the 'dream' still does not include the elderly and the infirm.


As I reach the 'autumn' years of my life, should I need emergency surgery, or long term care, I want to be looked after for in a dignified and yet professional way, in a system which is driven by health care and not insurance company profit. I certainly do not need, or want the added burden of cost at a time when I need that worry least. President Obama gets a lot of criticism for wanting to change the welfare system to a more compassionate one, and I find it hard to understand why. Unless, of course, those who 'have lots' do not want to compensate for those who 'have not', the aged or infirm. We will all be old and possibly infirm too someday, and in that system only the very wealthy will be able to afford it.


Lets keep working to hold and improve the NHS in the UK. Believe it or not, it is envied in the US by many.      

No comments:

Post a Comment