Thursday 30 August 2018

Habit or Custom?

He [Jesus] went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day, he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. Luke 4:16 NIV

As was his custom, Paul went into the synagogue. Acts 17:2 NIV


Have you ever heard someone comment on your regular Church attendance by saying, “It’s only a habit you know, that’s all”? I have, but let’s be clear, it’s a good habit to start even if that’s all it is!. Both Jesus and Paul had the custom [habit] of going to the Temple regularly, and we wouldn’t say that was a bad habit! The early church knew the importance of regular attendance at the Temple or Synagogue. By their actions, we should take note and follow suit. Going to Church regularly is not an easy habit to cultivate, but be certain of this, it’s a good custom.

As I thought about this custom exercised by our Lord and Saviour and the apostle Paul, I asked myself a couple of questions. Like, before going in, did they ever double check who the speaker was? Or who was leading the singing?? Also, did they ask themselves if there was a better Temple in the next street or town? Or if they had a teacher with more charisma, or presence with a better preaching style? If we are truly using Scripture wisely, we are told only that it was their custom to go to church, and nothing is said about being sidetracked to a different, or better, or bigger, church or pastor.

Then my imagination turns to what happens after the early apostles left the Temple. Did they grumble about the speaker, talking between themselves, that he could have done better? He isn’t as good as the last Temple leader. They don’t sing the Psalms I am familiar with, and like. It begs the consideration, “What did they go to their Church for”? When the answer becomes that they are only there to worship God in His Holiness, then all other thoughts, doubts and human fears will fade and disappear.

I am not asking you, because each person must answer for themselves, but I am turning the question back on myself. What is the REAL reason for the custom or habit I have of going to church? If it’s not to worship in Holiness and truth, then I must return to my first love and set aside the other reasonings and stop hiding behind all my excuses for being unhappy with that particular Church, or Pastor, or Worship leader! To put it another way, if I am bearing the name of Christ as a Christian, then I must behave like one! Ouch, that hurts!

No comments:

Post a Comment