Thursday 1 March 2018

Overthinking

I confess that I sometimes overthink things, and I also confess that this isn’t a happy place to be because it shows a side of you that hasn’t fully grasped, believed, or accepted the change to a once firmly held position or thought. If that happens, we try to work the thinking round to the new idea or concept in an effort to make it acceptable or force fit it into my head.

Overthinking may not be a happy place, but it is only ever done because something fundamental has changed, or is in process of being changed, and we are not fully in agreement with it. Basically, we try to adapt but can’t quite see a good reason why we should.

I suggest that overthinking chiefly happens in those things which are most important to us. After all, if something is not that important, then any change wouldn’t matter so much, would it? So, I hear you ask, what kind of things make me overthink? You might find these boring, and have a different list, but I would include changing theology and associated church statements of belief, plus how I might choose to act out my life as a result.

Can you relate? Do you overthink anything or am I on my own on this one? In everything I am mindful of Jesus’ words in the Sermon on the Mount and Paul’s epistle:

Say just a simple ‘Yes, I will’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Your word is enough. To strengthen your promise with a vow shows that something is wrong. Matthew 5:37 TLB or how about

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. Philippians 1:6 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment