Tuesday 4 April 2017

Choices

Sometimes it’s the little decisions which eat away at you, and take their toll as you try to think through all the consequences. Big problems require big decisions, and usually the answers are obvious, so making that right choice can be easier to see.

You visit the doctor because you are breathless, and he tells you to cut out the cigarettes or you are in danger of contracting lung cancer. You know what you are told makes sense, and all you are left with is the choice. Quit smoking or carry on regardless and risk the consequences to your health.

Perhaps it’s a visit to find the cause of the body tremors you are experiencing, and after a full medical examination the doctor tells you to reduce the alcohol intake, or cut it out altogether. Again, you know it makes sense and you are left with a choice. Quit drinking alcohol or carry on regardless and risk the consequences to your liver.  

I find the small, almost insignificant decisions are toughest. Let me be honest. It’s Facebook. So, what’s the problem I hear you say? It’s not like the end of the civilised world if you don’t log on, and you further suggest that I could always ‘unfriend myself’, ie delete my account. Of course these pieces of advice are good and make sense. We know that Facebook is a window into our head, and gives lots of hints and clues as to the kind of person we are, and most importantly how we think. Like you, I warm to those who are like me, and can become cool to those who have differing views on some things I see as important.

There is a wise old saying that we should not discuss politics or religion with friends, and with good reason. These subjects above all others touch us where we are most vulnerable and can  make us react in an unkind way. I confess to being guilty of sitting on both sides of that fence, and as a result hurting others, and also being hurt as a consequence. Maybe you can see my dilemma (if you have followed me this far). So, it all comes down to this: Do I listen and adopt the sensible choice, or do I carry on regardless risking the consequences to my inner health, and possibly the relationship of dear friends?

If things go quiet from my end, whether it turns out to be temporary or permanent, you will hopefully know and understand why. In the words of the age old relationship breakup line, “It’s not you, it’s me”. Either way, it doesn’t signal the end of the world, right?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to my Facebook family and friends who have given me helpful and honest advice. Some public and some private. I appreciate them all, and each person who took time to reply. For the time being, I intend to keep using my Facebook accounts, but I will be more careful, patient, and hopefully prudent as I use the medium which so often can be a source of irritation. Thanks again to my friends! Facebook really can be a source for good!

    ReplyDelete