Friday 22 November 2013

Grr-Attitude

Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Col 3:16,17 NIV

Coming from Scotland, I don’t get the chance to celebrate the US Thanksgiving Day too often. Being true to the history of the day, my nation’s past behaviour is part of the reason for our American cousins to be thankful! The day is steeped in history, but it has now become a day of thanks for all, and can now include those nations that caused the division in the first place. I feel blessed and happy to join in the celebration of thanks!

However, I have also come across those of both nations, who do not have an obvious spirit of gratitude. More a feeling of grr-attitude, where just about everything is met with suspicion and distrust. These are the people who are noticeable by the lack of friends around them. We would call them ‘nae mates’ back home. So I have to ask myself why? Why, when folks have health and security of a safe nation, would there be grumpy faced ‘nae mates’ at Thanksgiving or indeed any time of year?

For my part, I have good reason to be thankful, whether I am spending the day in the USA or in Scotland. I am blessed beyond measure with good health, loving family, and a very special and caring friend. God has been gracious, even when I doubted His goodness, but He has always come through for me. This year is no different, and like many others, I want to express my thanks for the life I have, because God is good, and I am thankful. Thanksgiving. It’s really quite simple, and not solely confined to one nation. It’s just an attitude of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment