Tuesday 18 June 2013

Do I HAVE to?

But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:44,45 NKJV

Really? Like everybody else who has a phone, I get these unwanted scam calls from a computer company who wants to make my laptop work faster, and relieve me of money which does no good whatsoever. I also get calls from people who want my personal details for their research program, but who will pass on any detail I give to another unscrupulous third party. These people (in my experience) are usually speaking from a base in the UK, and called ‘Timothy’ or ‘Angela’ but who sound Indian, Pakistani, or Nigerian! I really detest getting these unwanted and scam calls, and I am not alone there.

But love them? They spitefully use, and persecute me, and countless others. So, Lord, do I really HAVE to love them? Do I have to be courteous when they phone me at the most difficult times? Can I not dismiss them ‘out of hand’, after all they deserve it. These people prey on the vulnerable and rob them of their money, identity, and dignity, and they don’t even care!

Jesus’ words are clear, and I am not sure I like them. He says I have to love these horrible people, so that I may be a son of my Father in heaven. Ouch. That’s a really big ask Lord, but your Word is good and true, and a light to my path. This might be a very small thing in a world that’s going out of control, but it’s something I need to work on. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment